New to the LIST

To: Spridgets - List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New to the LIST
From: Oram Stephen <Stephen.Oram@nbgm.siemens.de>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 10:34:09 +0200
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi All,
        I've just found the list (well really about 2 weeks ago but I was
shy!) and wish I had of
looked 2 years ago when I bought my 1966 MKIII Sprite. After a lot of work,
bad and
good experience with suppliers, very thoughtful evenings about subjects like
how
the *?$% should that horn be connected the car runs.
It now has a 1275 engine as the bottom end fell out of the 1098. I would
have restored the 1098
but about the only thing that was original was the block. The head I believe
belonged to an
old 998 Mini (I won't go into any of the other niceties that the previous
owners had done as the
Majordomo says to keep your mail short). The valves in any case were very
small and the casting number very suspect.
I was told the 1098 would probably only give me 30,000 miles before
generating lots of smoke
again so I did the deed. I drive the car here about 50 miles a day to work,
when there's no salt on the road.
Here, by the way is Nuremberg, Baravia, Germany. My unaccented English comes
from the fact that I'm from Dublin, Ireland.
Anyway, now that I've gotten over the shyness expect lots of questions.
There's always something to do.
Yesterday, the needle dropped off the speedo! It's just lying there in the
glass looking at me.
I mean what it tried to tell me at the best of times was not very believable
but I can't just plonk it back onto the
spindle. What is the pre tension at 0 mph? Driving down the road at a known
50mph behind my girlfriend in the
other car while trying to stick it back on between my legs also seems risky.
Any ideas?

Stephen Oram
1966 MK III Sprite