Re: No synchro in second

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au
Subject: Re: No synchro in second
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 05:29:13 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Greg MAHNEY wrote
>The car doesn't have any synchro in first OR SECOND.  Apart from that
it
>works fine (a little noisey).  Is it possible that the synchro in
second
>has just stopped working, and the rest of the tranny is OK?  Or if the
>synchro pooped itself, would that mean I'd have other troubles as well?
>
>As funds become available I'll replace it with a ribcase (or is it
>ribcage?, or ribcage case?), but for now I'm wondering if I can carry
on
>regardless.
Carry on unless you are worried about originality and saving the
smoothcase for a later concours restoration. The smoothcase is almost
impossible to find parts for and the syncros require a machine shop to
fit unless you buy them already installed on the gears. You will
probably damage second gear eventually if the syncro is worn but you
might as well get as much use out of the box as you can and start saving
for a ribcase trans or a 5-speed conversion.