Re: Adjusting Valves Midget 1500

To: richard.arnold@juno.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Adjusting Valves Midget 1500
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com (Richard L. Bergstrom)
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 08:37:20 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>>Tomorrow, I am going to adjust the @#$%! valves:  Can anyone tell me
what size the crankshaft pulley nut is?  I'd like to hang a socket on it
to turn the engine with (though I suspect the rack will be smack dab in
the way).<<

The following is for 1275cc's and I don't know if it applies for a
1500.....sorry!

I jack up one rear wheel and put it in fourth.  Easy enough to bump the
engine around, with the plugs out, by turning the rear wheel.

I also use the go-nogo method.  One size bigger feeler gauge, the one you
want, and one size smaller.  Makes short work of it.

Remember the 9 trick too.  If you 8 is fully open then you should be
adjusting 1.
Do them in this order:
  (Fully open valve)    (adjust this valve)
9-      8    =                  1
        6               3
        4               5
        7               2
        1               8
        3               6
        5               4
        2               7

This will save you lots of turning the engine over.

Sorry if this is too basic, I hope it helps someone!

Ric Bergstrom,  Richmond,  VA
1973 Midget  1275    '88 240 Volvo   '92  F150    '74 Midget  1275
(apart!)
Central Virginia MG Classics, AMGBA, VMSC