Re: Dead Battery

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Dead Battery
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:39:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Second, I've thought of something which may be why my battery ran down.
> For some unknown reason, right before I laid up the Midget for front end
> work, my reverse lights came on and stayed on even when in a forward gear
> (1-4).  They were off (correctly so) while in neutral.
>
> Do you think this is a sign that there is a constant drain on the battery
> even while iginition is off?  How to go about diagnosing the constantly on
> reverse lamps?

Not if the lights are off when the ignition is off.

> Thought about just changing the switch, but thought that
> may be an unnecessary expense if it is a short somewhere.

If it was a short, they wouldn't go out with the trans in neutral.  Look
for some problem with the switch or the mechanism that actuates it (take
out the shift lever).  Could be just a loose switch or something like
that.  The switch is expensive, around $65 if I remember correctly.

> BTW, please let me take the opportunity here to thank everyone on the list
> for the constant flow of advice, encouragement and plain old help provided.
>  I couldn't own one of these cars without you all.  And as newby as I still
> am, I do see that I am learning which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.  :)

Hey it's fun because you usually give feedback about which tips led to the
solution or how you ended up getting something apart.  It's almost like
having been there... :-)

                                                           '67 Sprite