Re: Baking parts (was:: Tires)

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Baking parts (was:: Tires)
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:06:05 -0400
Cc: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>, "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Ulix!
No, I did not have my wheels sandblasted.  I used a lot of sandpaper, wire
brushing, and elbow grease, followed by treatment with Metal Prep solution.
 I sprayed the entire wheel with the Plastikote aluminum engine paint and
baked it in the oven at 300 deg. for an hour.  I did this for three coats.
Then I masked the wheel and sprayed the black areas with black engine
paint, baked at 300, etc., also for three coats.  After three years as an
(almost) daily driver, the wheels are showing no signs of rust, although I
do have a few stone chips here and there.  The coating is pretty tough.
When the parts are baking, they stink like hell, so I try to stay out of
the house until they are done.  The smell only lasts until the volatiles
burn off, which doesn't take long.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain