Wheel Bearing Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel Bearing Question
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 00:24:46 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
And so it goes on...

At first I thought I drove the outer bearing on too far on the driver's
side.  It seemed that the inner race had "popped out" of the outer race.
However, tonight I did a close inspection of the one I installed on the car
and the one I have still in the plastic package.  I can't see that the
inner race is any more "popped out" on the installed one than on the new
one in the package.  Looks identical.  However, neither of the two new ones
look exactly like the old one on my passenger's side.  This is going to be
hard to describe, but I'll try.

The old outer bearing seems flat and even across the inner and outer races.
 This is the same look as the new =inner= bearings.  The new =outer=
bearings (the smaller ones) almost have a tiered effect.  They have the
outer race at the lowest height, next come the ball bearings themselves
poking just ever so slightly over the lip of the outer race (if memory
serves correctly), next a sort of plastic looking inner race and even in
height with that is the metal center ring.  Did anyone follow that?

The new one installed seems stable enough when I probe it to see if the
inner race is popped out of the outer race.  I know, this isn't simulating
going 60 mph down the road or taking a hard turn.

Is there anyway to tell if I got the right parts?  I got them from BritTek.
 They seemed to fit snugly in the hub without inhuman driving using a
socket.  So they seem right.  I think the main thing operating here is my
lack of confidence.

Can anyone help with some advice?

Thank you very, very much.

Philip