RE: Moss Bugeye Panels

To: "'d0m6803@acs.tamu.edu'" <d0m6803@acs.tamu.edu>
Subject: RE: Moss Bugeye Panels
From: "BOLIN, TIMOTHY" <TBOLIN@scana.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:46:31 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
dave,

i'm also replacing the floor panels in my 65 midget.  i received my
panels from spec. int. and surprisingly pleased with the way they
snuggly fit when just placing in place. what i have done to the old pans
is cut them out along the spot weld flange of the transmission tunnel
and then using a die grinder with a metal grinding bit(someone on the
list mention that there is a bit specifically for cutting out spot
welds), ground out the spot welds(trying not to go through both pieces
of metal) along the innersill and on the underside those spot welds
securing the panel to the rear box section, forward box section, and
crossmember. then using a chisel to carefully separate the old panel
from the body sections. i am leaving the the tunnel section in place and
plan on over lapping (or underlapping) it with the new panel. i'm at
this stage now and hope to build up enough courage to start welding in
the the new panels.  (just a little apprehensive with my welding
capability-still practicing on scrape metal)

this method and the advice i've received from my friends on the list has
worked well for me so far and i hope it helps you.

best of luck

tim