Re: Rear Axel Oil Seal andBrakes

Subject: Re: Rear Axel Oil Seal andBrakes
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:36:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Greg MAHNEY wrote:

> The other thing we noticed when looking at my funny rear springs was an oil
> seal leak at one of the rear wheels.
>
> The local experts explained the half shaft removal procedure - it sounded
> easy enough.  The advice too was to forget about using the paper
> seal/gasket, but rather, use the blue gasket stuff.  Do others agree with
> this advice?

Greg, it is in fact easy.
The local experts sound somewhat like the
type of shadetree mechanic that makes a nice car into a DPO car.
The seals are cheap and they work, why not use them?

> Also, no doubt, the brake shoes are going to have oil all over them.  I
> remember when I was much younger, and considerably more foolhardy, the
> remedy for oily brake shoes was to douse them in petrol and set them
> alight.  Have there been any technological developments in the last 20
> years which would render this procedure redundant?

Since a set of new shoes is about as much as a six pack (yeah yeah, due to
microbrew hype, beer is expensive in Seattle...), I would just replace
them.

                                                           '67 Sprite