Rear Axel Oil Seal andBrakes

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear Axel Oil Seal andBrakes
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:22:05 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The other thing we noticed when looking at my funny rear springs was an oil
seal leak at one of the rear wheels.

The local experts explained the half shaft removal procedure - it sounded
easy enough.  The advice too was to forget about using the paper
seal/gasket, but rather, use the blue gasket stuff.  Do others agree with
this advice?

Also, no doubt, the brake shoes are going to have oil all over them.  I
remember when I was much younger, and considerably more foolhardy, the
remedy for oily brake shoes was to douse them in petrol and set them
alight.  Have there been any technological developments in the last 20
years which would render this procedure redundant?

TIA

Hopeful

Greg Mahney
Admissions  Officer,   Murdoch University,  Murdoch WA 6150,  Australia
phone:   +61 (8) 9360 2725                fax:   +61 (8) 9360 6491
e-mail:  mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au