RE: Engine problem

To: "'Ben Willis'" <ben.willis@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Engine problem
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <jzurschm@etec.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 09:03:55 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ben, I have an article of faith about motors,
and this is as good a time as any to share it.
As always, your mileage may vary, and it's
subject to the exigencies of life on earth.

If the head on your motor is tired, the rings
and bottom end are tired, too. Engines wear
in and grow old as a system - and each part
of the system affects all the other parts.

If you freshen the head on that motor, chances
are that nice tight new head will start sucking oil
past the rings that did not previously leak much.
If you do the rings and bearings without freshening
the head, the valve guides will leak. Any of the above
will cause seals and etc to start leaking like the
Titanic all over the motor.

It's generally easier to take the whole thing
down and redo it from top to bottom once
than to chase down each component as
it departs.

My tuppence,

JZ