Re: Engine problem

To: Ben Willis <ben.willis@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine problem
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:56:47 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Ben Willis wrote:
> The engine however is not so happy and smokes pretty bad, getting
> through around a litre of oil every hundred miles or so. Sounds okay
> (well a bit clattery) and goes well though.
>
> I guess it is the valve guides or rings/bores. I plan to take the head
> off this weekend and take a look, but am not quite sure what to look
> for. What usually goes first in these engines? Any gotchas or tests I
> can do to help me work out what's up?

A general guide that I've seen (but not needed, knock on wood) is that if
the smoke is worst at startup (after sitting) then it's probably the valve
guide(s).

FWIW... probably what you payed for it.  :-)

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting