Re: Engine problem

To: Ben Willis <ben.willis@bt-sys.bt.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine problem
From: Rick/Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 09:27:56 +0000
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Ben,

Well a tell all is the compression test.  It will tell if you need a
overhaul or not.  Don't know what the good readings on a 1275 should be
maybe someone else does though.  How about it Frank or George what
should we expect for compression?

You might want to make sure it is indeed burning the oil and not leaking
it all over the drive.  I have a 74 B that when I first bought it was
using a quart every 100 miles.  The engine sounded good and it had
factory overdrive so I bought it.  Changed the valve cover gasket and it
Imediately went to over 500 mile per quart.  Now I use about a quart
every 2000 miles, and to think this was all caused by DPO's.  If it
sounds good and has lots of power look for leaky gaskets they are easy
to find and fix.

Good luck and happy trails.

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby