Re: IN-LINE GAS FILTER

To: hello39@idt.net
Subject: Re: IN-LINE GAS FILTER
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 06:54:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The glass ones are cool looking, but I learned the hard way about one
flaw.  If there's any side load on 'em they'll break internally and
spill fuel mightily.  Just the weight of my fuel hose, routed a little
different, did it to me after 20 miles.  I switched to a metal one
(fairly large, to catch fuel tank chunks) on the suction side of the
fuel pump, and a smaller one right before the carb.  Fram makes some
nice universal inline ones to fit 5/16 hose -- they're a buck or two
at WalMart and include clamps and a short length of connecting hose.
You can paint 'em too if you want the trick look.  I've also used some
semi-transparent plastic ones, without the fear of the cheap sintered
metal inside the glass ones giving way...They give a little
visibility.

Any inline one that fits your hose should work.  My previous owner had
run without one, necessitating a tedious carb rebuild for me that
involed digging chunks of sediment out of the bowl (for starters).
Plus the fuel pump was full of grit.  The filter is $2 well spent.

M. Dietsche
78 Midget

---hello39@idt.net wrote:

> Bill,
> I recommend a glass Purolator in line filter .
> The benefits are
> 1. You can see the flow
> 2. Change the center filter element
>
> Just mount it away from the exhaust manifold, they hate heat.
> Alan
>
> Noel, William M wrote:
>
> > Can anyone supply a part number for an in-line gas filter for a
'72 Midget
> > 1275.  I know that I have seen threads on this list, but last
night when I
> > went to my handy-danty parts store they wouldn't make a
recommendation.  If