Re: Sanding or Stripping?

To: cmlove@hiwaay.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sanding or Stripping?
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 02:34:54 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Monty wrote:

<<I will be doing some body work soon (this winter) and I am wondering
about the best way to prepare the body for painting.  I have heard some
talk about paint strippers and others talk about sand blasting.  And
then there is just sand paper.  Is there a best way?  Which would you
use and when?>>

Two cents from here  -  I agree with Frank, if your are doing your entire car
have it media blasted.  As to heating the metal up and warping the body this
should only happen if the job is undertaken by a shop that does not do car
bodies.  But I must add that we have several shops in our area that do sand
and media blasting.  When we were doing our car the sand blasting people said
not to use media blasting because it work so slow that it heated up the metal.
The media blasting people said do not use sand blasting because the high
pressure and abrasive action heated up the metal.  The bottom line is use the
shop that specializes in cars, particularly restorations or hot rods.  Our car
was media blasted by one of the best hot rod shops in the area and it was some
of the best money I every spent.  One day and the job was done.

Bob and Annice
60 Sprite