Re: Tyres

To: Martyn Ridley <ridleymj@bis.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Tyres
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 19:40:21 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Martyn Ridley wrote:

> 1. What is rolling diameter for original Frog(BUG in US)eye Sprite?
> 2. Name a modern BRITISH radial that will fit
> 3. Reply please!!!!!!!

  I have
> no problem with 165/70s if they fit on the 4.0 rim.  Do they?, Safely?
> What if I only have the Frog's 3.5 disc wheels?  Is there a 155/75?, or
> will a 175/70 or 175/60 that will fit?  I know Dunlop does a 145/80, a
> 155/80 and a 165/70.  Are there any REAL British mfgers out there that make
> equivalent tyres? (Sorry, functionalist I may be, but putting yoko's or CDN
> tyre cheep o cheepos is beneath me)  Comments would be appreciated.

Martyn

165/70s (Dunlop) fit fine on stock Bugeye rims. I have them on PIECES.
The closest (maybe dead on exact) size tyre for any Sprite/Midget is a
145/80. 155/80s are usually the sale priced tyre and the also fit fine
with no problems.
Original Bugeye tyres were 5.20 inches X 13 inches.
Being one that never "exhaled" I never learned the metric/english
conversions. I do know that 145s came on all later model Midgets from
the dealer. Most were Michelin X.
BTW new Dunlops are made in New Zealand. A few years ago they were made
in Japan, early 80s they were made in the UK.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ