Re: HELP: Paint/body discussion

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Subject: Re: HELP: Paint/body discussion
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:03:08 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel Thompson wrote:

> When all is said and done I will have a close to perfect bodyshell that
> will have cost me around $8,000. I know a lot of listers will wonder
> whether I have any brains in my head; remember this, if you want to restore
> a bugeye bodyshell PROPERLY, $8,000 is probably the minimum you will have
> to spend.

Daniel is right with his numbers.
I spent $3500 on just finish body work and paint. I did the blasting,
cutting, welding and supplying of all the other stuff.

In the end the finished product was worth it. But.....I was always
worried about chips in the paint, scratches, etc. I actually did not
like the car, the paint was perfect, it was the fact that it was which
made the car "not user friendly"
I sold the car for less then I had into it and opted for my older garage
paint job Bugeye. I have crashed it once on a rally,  banged it out,
repainted it, touched up chips many times, and don't worry about
scratches. It's much more fun then one of those show special perfect
paint jobs.
My therory, pay the big bucks if it's a show only Sprite,
Do it youself if it's a daily driver.
If you do it yourself, you can repair it yourself.

My opinions
Frank

--
Frank Clarici