Re: HELP: Paint/body discussion

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: HELP: Paint/body discussion
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:43:25 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Frank Clarici wrote:

> Daniel Thompson wrote:
>

> > When all is said and done I will have a close to perfect bodyshell that
> > will have cost me around $8,000. I know a lot of listers will wonder
> > whether I have any brains in my head; remember this, if you want to restore
> > a bugeye bodyshell PROPERLY, $8,000 is probably the minimum you will have
> > to spend.
>
> Daniel is right with his numbers.
> I spent $3500 on just finish body work and paint. I did the blasting,
> cutting, welding and supplying of all the other stuff.
>
> In the end the finished product was worth it. But.....I was always
> worried about chips in the paint, scratches, etc. I actually did not
> like the car, the paint was perfect, it was the fact that it was which
> made the car "not user friendly"
> I sold the car for less then I had into it and opted for my older garage
> paint job Bugeye. I have crashed it once on a rally,  banged it out,
> repainted it, touched up chips many times, and don't worry about
> scratches. It's much more fun then one of those show special perfect
> paint jobs.
> My therory, pay the big bucks if it's a show only Sprite,
> Do it youself if it's a daily driver.
> If you do it yourself, you can repair it yourself.
>
> My opinions
> Frank
>
> --
> Frank Clarici
> Toms River, NJ
> Lots of LBCs
> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

I like Frank's opinion (hey, there's a first for everything!).

My plan is to have three Sprites: the Mk3 I already have is for driving,
it's already got a bunch of dents and scratches in it; the bugeye will
be a trailer queen at first but will then be driven hard & fast on nice
days and carefully selected roads; I am still looking for an original
vintage racer to take to the track, autocross, hillclimb, etc.

Don't plan on selling any of them. I have two sons who already refer to
them as "their" cars (they are 3 and 5 years old).

Daniel