magnesium care & painting questions

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net'" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: magnesium care & painting questions
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:30:57 -0400
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I believe that this question has been discussed before so I apologize for
not taking notes at that time.

I have just purchased a set of period (60's) magnesium wheels for my Bugeye
Sprite. They are a very handsome design and are in excellent condition. My
question concerns the finish on these wheels. They are what appears to be
raw magnesium, the surface is rough to the touch, kinda like 100 grit
sandpaper. The natural color is black, like charcoal. The wheels are in
great shape with practically no dings or scratches and appear to be solid
as a rock structurally.

I would like to know two things: what type of maintenance/cleaning is
required for this type of wheel and, can the surface be painted? If it can
be painted, what would be the preparation for paint? Will the paint "stick"
or come off over time?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Thompson