Re: misc. ramblings

To: "shk" <shk@qnet.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: misc. ramblings
From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@shianet.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 07:22:50 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Shawn,

I have also had intermitent charging problems on my generator equipped 71
Midget. I have never understood MGs reluctance to include an actual gauge
to monitor the electrical system, unless they don't want you to know how
poorly it actually performs.  I recently picked up a voltmeter that is made
to plug into your lighter socket. While this doesn't actually give you a
charging rate, it goes tell you your battery state in volts, and you can
watch the numbers go up and down with the RPMs. It is made by Whistler, the
radar detector people, and has a digital readout as well as
red-yellow-green LEDs for battery condition. This saves having to cut a
hole in the dash to install a voltmeter, or hang a bracket underneath to
bump your knees on. I picked mine up at Wal-Mart for $6 on clearance, but
they may be available other places. Good luck with your problem.

        p.s. You must unplug it when parked, or the LEDs will drain the battery
over time.

                                                Mike Ellsworth
                                                71 Midget