Re: Wet, Dry boiling points

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, Guy.Weller@nationwideisp.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wet, Dry boiling points
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:30:31 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 10/18/98 7:16:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Daniel1312@aol.com writes:

<< Guy.Weller@nationwideisp.net >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I just found another Web site that listed more data on brake fluid.  The
boiling points for DOT 5 (silicone) fluid are 500F dry and 356F wet.  This
puts it a little below the DOT 5.1, which is 514F dry and 375F wet and is
glycol based.

They also spoke about ATE Super Blue fluid, which is a DOT 4 spec fluid with
impressive boiling points of 536F dry and 392F wet.  I suppose this is a
racing spec fluid, and may be more prone to water absorption, since racers
change their brake fluid before each race and so are not concerned with water
or wet boiling points.

This site is at:  http://www.eskimo.com/ftp/u/d/dalus/bmw/new_faq/FAQ.4  if
you want to check it out.  My current feelings on brake fluid are sending me
toward Castrol LMA, which is a DOT 4 fluid with low moisture absorption.  The
fluid should be changed every year or two, and the system should be kept
properly bled.  (DUH!)  It has the added advantage of being usable in both of
my cars, since you can't use a silicone fluid in ABS equipped cars due to a
lack of lubricating characteristics that the hydraulic pump needs.

Now, shall we talk about synthetic oil?

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport