Re: Electronic Ignition

To: "Carlson, Rob" <rcarlson@csw.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:07:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bob,

I am using the Pertronix Ignitor with a Lucas Sport Coil. Installation was
easy, but I drilled and tapped an additional screw hole to firmly position
the pickup unit. I can't say that this setup has given me any benefits
other than obviating the need to set dwell (points gap), which was my goal.

Before making this change, you must switch to negative ground. There are
instructions at several sites on the web. It's easy, takes about 10 minutes.

I searched the web for comments on electronic ignition before doing this.
There were no complaints about the Ignitor, but several about the Crane
system; several failures due to heat and the (apparently) cheap optics
wheel.

Again, I don't think that you'll gain power. If you do, this would suggest
that you have other problems (poor mixture, wobbly dizzy, etc) that the
setup compensates for. Of course, simply compensating for the effects of
some root problem isn't that bad, especially if the root problem is an
expensive fix.

Jeff

At 11:24 AM -0500 10/28/98, Carlson, Rob wrote:

> Trying to decide whether or not to install electronic ignition in early
> Sprite. Any suggestions or commentary?
> .
> .
> .
> RJC

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/