RE: Electronic Ignition

To: "'Patton Dickson'" <kpdii@mindspring.com>, "'Jeff Boatright'" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition
From: Jeff Zurschmeide <zurschmeidej@interactivenw.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:58:18 -0800
Cc: "'Carlson, Rob'" <rcarlson@csw.com>, "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Well, yeah, without going to a capacitive discharge (long spark) system
like an MSD, you can run a super coil (I use the hot Lucas one) and
hotter plugs and get a little more bang. Some folks index their
plugs (put a mark on the ceramic where the plug gap lines up and then
thread a bazillion plugs into the head and choose for a given cylinder
only those that line up with the gap facing closest to the center of the
combustion chamber) but I think you don't get enough difference out
of it (in terms of power boost) to worry too much about it. I use
splitfire
plugs, btw, which I like a lot. The most noticeable difference is easier
starting.

But the main benefit I wanted to get (and indeed received) from the
Pertronix was rock solid timing. I found a good tight dizzy and the
Pertronix means no point bounce, which
Lucas points do like ping pong balls above 6500 RPM or so. And the
point bounce gets worse as you run the car. A set of points would
last me no more than a couple race weekends before they would
start bouncing noticeably, and growing little spark zits that further
reduce performance.  So the long and short of it is that there is a
significant overall performance benefit in terms of reliability and
longevity of power, even if there's no neck-snapping power boost.

JZ