How this list works

To: rickfisk@concentric.net
Subject: How this list works
From: "Danny Rendleman" <dannyr@flint.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:51:55 +0000
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
You know, one of the things I love about this list is, I ask a
seemingly innocent question and get a controversy going.  Bravo!

I teach mostly first-semester English and what we in our department
stress are the ideas of collaboration within the realm of argument
(in the larger sense of the word).  I think that next year I'd like
to engage my students in a list like this one, showing them how
"professionsals" agree to disagree.  It would be so enlightening to
them to see how "adults" play off one another to get things decided
(or not--which is just as crucial).

I promise I won't get the list deluged with mail, but if they could
witness how problems get resolved, it would be very worthwhile.  If
there are other teachers out there who have some opinions on this, I
would welcome the feedback.  Or, hell, engineers, for that matter.

Or whoever.  I can't help but feel that other, larger concerns are
going on here.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Danny

dannyr@umich.edu