Re: Wheels.

To: Matthew P Johnson <spriteguy@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Wheels.
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:00:26 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Matthew P Johnson wrote:

> My experience with 5" Vega wheels hasn't been good when used with square
> wheel arch cars.  The offset didn't seem right so the tire wouldn't sit
> in the center of the wheel well.  I guess if you run skinny tires they
> wouldn't rub, but what's the point in that.  You can run skinny tires on
> stock rims.  The only other alternative is to use a scissors jack to open
> the wheel well wider.  This isn't particularly easy to do.  If you want
> the finish to look professional, it will require lots of work.
>
> What I have found very effective is 5" wheels with 19mm offset.  It puts
> the tire in the center of the stock wheel well and allows you to run a
> tire up to 7" of section width.  I find a panhard bar helpful.  Although
> depending on the weight of my passenger and how aggressive I'm driving
> though corners, a panhard bar isn't always needed.
>
> Matt

Matt,
this is great information.  So I take it the Vega wheels stick OUT too
much, rather than in, where they would hit the leaf spring?

I can never remember how offset is defined.
Do you mean that the mounting face of the rim is 19mm from the center line
of the rim, in the direction of the outer face (front) of the rim?

Do you have a 1/4 or 1/2 elliptic car?

Thanks,

                                                           '67 Sprite