Re: King Pin Shims? & Wheel Bearings?

To: jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: King Pin Shims? & Wheel Bearings?
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:37:25 EST
Cc: pasgeirsson@juno.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:57:16 -0500 (EST) Jeff Boatright
<jboatri@emory.edu> writes:
>Paul,
>
>But doesn't the manual call for 46 lb-ft torgue for the castle nut?
>
>Jeff

Yes, but that's for when you have the spacer in there.  Without the
spacer, you just lightly load the bearing with 5 pounds feet or so of
torque, and you know it's the bearing being loaded.

With the spacer, the bearing may or may not get loaded, depending on the
length of the spacer.  That's why you sometimes have loose hubs or too
tight bearings.  You're working against the unknown value or length of
the spacer.

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com