UPDATE : Removing tie rod Ball Joints

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: UPDATE : Removing tie rod Ball Joints
From: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:50:29 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     I'm baaacccckkkk.
     Had good confidence builder answers from the list to my quest for
     help, so home I went yesterday with optimistic hopes of succeeding
     with the removal of the ball joint from the tie rod.

     I had soaked the area for two days with penetrating oil and had "big"
     crescent wrenches, vise grips, pipe wrench, open end wrench etc. at
     hand and was aggressively going to get this nut and ball joint to
     move.

     Ended up rounding the nut.  No movement.  Ha...  No little nut is
     going to foil me!!  Don't like the heat thing much cause of the
     confined space I'm working in, SO I THUNK to myself, SELF-- Cut that
     little Ba***** off.  Out comes the rotary tool with a cut off disc and
     a cutten I commence.  SUCCESS!  The nut is cut in two places, just to
     the threads, and a chisel knocked it of.  OK now the ball joint....
     That little t**d would not budge either!!!  Ha.....   again.  Cut the
     nut off, let's cut the ball joint off.  Gingerly I cut two slits down
     the ball joint and then cut between these two slits to get a chunk out
     of it.  Slowly working to not booger up the threads.

     TA-DAA!!!!  Got it all off with only very minimal thread scoring.
     Victory!!!

     Now a question to the list....  What is the thread size of the tie rod
     end that the new ball joint will screw onto???  I want to run a die on
     the threads to clean them up.

     Thanks to all that corresponded on my dilemma.  This list is great!!

     Now on to the other side!!!!  Wish me luck......

     Dave
     '62 MKII Sprite
     Dublin, CA
     HAN6L14083