RE: Front Suspension Update (clarlification)

To: "'Larry and Sandi Miller'" <millerls@msn.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Front Suspension Update (clarlification)
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 07:47:42 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry -

I'm trying to recall what you were doing with the front suspension aside
from the bigger brakes (that was you, wasn't it?).  Have you replaced the
bushings?  If not, could the old bushings have enough slop to bind at some
angles and be free at others?

Thought:  You are performing the first test with the wheels >on<, and the
second test with the wheels >off<.  Try performing the second test with the
wheels >on<.  If the springs don't compress with the wheels on, look for
interference between the wheels / rotors and something in the suspension,
like the end of the shock arm.

Weird idea:  Put the car up on the three stands as you have described,
wheels off.  Jack up the kingpin so that the spring compresses, mount the
wheel, and stick a ramp under the wheel.  Repeat on the other side.  Set
the back end down and drive the car off the ramps.  You might find out
what's binding somewhere in this process.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net
'77 Midget (that looks pretty strange with the windshield out)