Re: Radiator Stuff

To: autox@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Radiator Stuff
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 11:50:53 PST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I do not remember where I read this or how true but it seems to make
sense.
On a down flow the force of the water entering the top tank tends to
send the flow over to the far side while the suction tends to pull from
the near side resulting in most of the flow being across the top and
down the output side
x= main flow
inxxxxxxxxxx
While on cross flow the water entering at the top causes a higher
pressure area at the top rows and the suction causes a lower pressure at
the bottom rows resulting in a more even flow through all the tubes.
Hi Pressure   low suction
in -----------
   -----------
   -----------
   -----------
lo pressure    Hi suction
On a left top entry right bottom exit radiator.
Downflow would have faster travel over the top and down the right side
while the left bottom would not see much flow. The hotter water would
flow faster through the downflow resulting in less cooling time.
Cross flow would be much more even with the water spending more time in
the radiator resulting in better cooling.
FWIW.
Peter S.