Re: Radiator Stuff

To: redlotus@spacey.net
Subject: Re: Radiator Stuff
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 19:31:57 PST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am sure that the flowrate is the same. The point I was trying to make
is that instead of the hot inlet water racing thru the radiator and not
spending any time in the cooling airstream while some cooler water sits
in the lower corner, with a crossflow the flow thru all the fins is at
about the same rate resulting in a better transference of heat from the
water to the airflow. I could get into a technical discussion about tube
material, thickness, profile, method of attachment, fin shape, coating
etc, but I choose not to.
I will try to run a cross flow and down flow radiator cars side by side
this weeekend and measure the inlet and outlet temperatures as well as
the surface temps at various points on the radiator if I have time in
between installing a 5-speed, rebuilding a corvette engine, a 1275
engine and installing a new bathroom floor. (Guess which one my wife
thinks is the most important?)
Reagrds,
Peter S.