Re: More Radiator Stuff

To: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: More Radiator Stuff
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 15:05:08 -0700
Cc: Daniel1312@aol.com, spritenut@Exit109.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Ron Soave wrote:

> > due to considerably higher operating pressures (pressure lowers boiling
> > point).  Very latest radiator cores are much more efficient also.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Right about the core design - that's where that fin pitch/ materials stuff
> comes in.  Pressure raises the boiling point, though.

Correct about boiling point........but, modern American/Japanese/German cars
run smaller radiators than not too many years ago and maintain a temp of
195'f in the Arizona desert going up a steep grade with the air conditioning
on (we have a 1997 Honda CR-V that easily does this).

What about the modern British cars? I don't know. All we seem to have around
here are some Jaguar XJS's and XJ-6's that still can't handle the desert heat
and are famous for overheating here.

Anyway, it seems that all of the above referenced cars have *downflow*
radiators. Wouldn't it be logical that if there were some intrinsic advantage
to a crossflow that all would have adopted it years ago.

Just wondering, that's all........

Scott Meyers
1960 Bugeye 1275
No problems here with the stock crossflow