Re: More Alternator hookup + assorted wiring

To: hello39@idt.net
Subject: Re: More Alternator hookup + assorted wiring
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 09:46:21 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "Robert G(Z55765) Kershaw" <RKERSHAW@apsc.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

hello39@idt.net wrote:

> Scott,
> I recall a tech tip on the PDLJMPR site that Frank wrote a number of
> yrs ago. Check it out, it might tell you and I know a number of
> others may chime in with the answer, as well
> Alan

OK - it probably is not be a Lucas Alternator, as I looked at the
explanation in the PDLJMPR site - mine closely resembles that Japanese
alternator. It is *internally* regulated.

It has one large terminal which obviously (?) goes to the positive
battery post for charging purposes (10 gauge wire). It also has a small
rectangular inset area with three 12 or 14 gauge blade/posts for
running smaller wires.....where?

***What I really need to know is where should these smaller wires
go?***

Right now one goes to the + coil side.....?, and the other goes to a
light on the dash (that lights before starting and goes out once the
car is running).

Additional information that might be useful......

The DPO (the same one who had two 'hot' red leads going to the Stewart
Warner Tach instead of one hot and one ground) also removed the
original regulator. Not really a problem, since PDLJMPR gutted theirs
and I have taken a few hours to totally rewire my car.

I have a new ignition switch (off/accessory/run/start positions),
electrically-switched solenoid, and fuse block mounted (the fuse block
*inside* the car under the dash).

* A 10 gauge hot lead goes from the battery to the battery post on the
new ignition switch, which has battery/accessory/ignition/start posts
on the back.

* From the accessory post I have a 10 gauge wire going to the new six
fuse fuse block. All lights, turn signals, wipers, etc. now come from
there. This post is live for both the accessory key position and the
run key position.

Note - Running lights, headlights, wipers, and electric fuel pump are
controlled by separate switches.

* From the ignition post runs two wires - one to the dash light, and
the other to the + coil terminal.

* From the start post a 10 gauge wire runs the the start post on the
electrically-switched solenoid.

Thanks again for your expertise.

Scott Meyers
Competition, not concourse......