RE: Another hardtop question

To: "'Rick Williams'" <redfish@premier.net>
Subject: RE: Another hardtop question
From: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:55:22 -0700
Cc: "'Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
 Hi Rick ,
 If you can not find a replacement window you might consider making one .
 It's really not that hard . You will need to duplicate (approximate) the
shape .
 If you have the old window you can use plaster of Paris  to make a male
plug
 of the window (don't forget to use some form of mold release) .  If you
don't have the
 window you will need to make the plug from something like balsa wood . Fill
any
 imperfections with spacle (like you would use to fill nail holes in
drywall) Whatever
 you make the plug from has to be able to take some heat . Cover the plug
with felt .
 Attach the plug to stand offs and a base plate.    ######### --- Plug
                                                                           #
#  ------Stand off

################ ------Baseplate
 Next cut out a frame from plywood . Bolt a  piece of Plexiglas every few
inches to this
 frame . Heat the Plexiglas and frame in an oven . Watch carefully , when
the Plexiglas
 starts to sag remove from the oven and pull down over the plug . Trim to
final shape .
 It is not as hard as it sounds . A few years ago I watched some friends
making Plexiglas
 parts with compound curves . After a couple of tries the parts came out
perfect .
 Good luck ,
                 Mark Hanna
                 AN5L/13731