Re: Another hardtop question

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Another hardtop question
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 23:21:09 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Bkitterer@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/15/99 11:48:49 PM, spritenut@Exit109.com writes:
>
> << I used Lexan (brand) plexiglass,  >>
>
> Frank,
>
> Do you mean Lucit rather than Lexan?  Lucite, Lucite L and Plexiglass are
> trade marks for acrylic from various manufacturers.  Lexan is the trade mark
> for a polycarbonate.  While the two materials, arcylic and polycarbonate, have
> a number of similar properties they do behave differently to heat.  Acrylic
> has a reasonable temperature range where it is fluid, polycarbonate tends to
> jump from a solid state to a gas state.  This is not to say that you cannot
> bend Lexan (I am not sure) but it is a lot easier to bend arcylic.  Lexan is
> normally more expensive than acrylic also.
>
> Just do not want any one to buy Lexan and get a surprise when they take a
> torch to it.
>
> Bob and Annice

I did use Lexan brand clear plastic like material. It was Lexan for sure
since I still have a few small pieces with the label on it.
When I said torch, I meant to warm it slightly. I actually used a heat
gun (sort of like a high temp hair dryer) and I held this about 12" away
from the plastic. I did this to ease the "wanna bend back to flat"
tendency of the Lexan after it was installed in the curved window hole.
This was done to make the rubber seal fit a bit better. The apex of the
curves was pushing the gasket out.

Maybe a torch is not a good idea on the Lexan. A common hair dryer may
work best.

Just wanting to clear things up.
--
Frank Clarici