Re: Diode -> I think I've got it.

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Diode -> I think I've got it.
From: Jeff Sharpe <jsharpe@501studios.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:19:40 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Michael,

Diodes are designed to conduct current well in one direction and very poorly
in the other.  When you check the resistance of your diode, first connect
your meter one way, take a measurement and then reverse the leads.  A good
diode will measure 'open' (or very nearly) with the positive meter probe on
the cathode (the end with the stripe) and the negative probe on the anode.
When you reverse the leads you should have some measurable resistance.  Many
meters have a 'diode checker' setting that will show you the same thing when
you reverse the leads.  If it's a 'zener' diode this test doesn't work.

Without knowing where in the circuit this diode is placed, I can't tell you
what it's function is.  But it sounds like you're on to something - good
luck!  Save the old diode if the new one fails to solve your problem - you
may not have the correct replacement diode.  If there are any numbers on the
original diode, let me know and I can look it up.

Jeff

----------
<spridgets@autox.team.net>,MGList <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Diode -> I think I've got it.
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 16:56:23 -0500
>
>Hey again.
>
>I think I've got it.  It's definitely a diode.  Very small (about 1 mm wide
and
>2 mm's long).  Light blue line on one side of clear glass cylinder.  Axial
>leads.  I know the voltage expected out of it is approx. 23 volts. but as I
>understand it,  that's not a function of the diode.  I purchased 50 ($2.19)
at