Re: Diode -> I think I've got it.

To: "Michael Graziano" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>, "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "MGList" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Diode -> I think I've got it.
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 06:54:08 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Are you =sure= that there are no other markings on that bad diode?
Generally, they have a part number on them, although OEM stuff might not. It
might be on the bottom, against the circuit board. Diodes don't use color
bands for markings, because there are so many different kinds. The band is
just to tell you which end is which--it matters!

Size and color mean almost nothing when matching diodes. They come in all
kinds of voltage and power ratings and identical-function diodes can look
quite different form different manufacturers. Also, there are two different
kinds of diodes: one is used to limit current flow to just one direction,
and the other is used to regulate the voltage flowing through a circuit.

It looks like about all you can do without more info is to try a standard
1N4148 or 1N914 signal diode in the circuit. That's probably what I'd do at
this point.

If you are able to get a good number, I can almost certainly find you a
suitable replacement number. I repair industrial electronics for a living.

Tom Zuchowski