Re: special treatment??

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: special treatment??
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:46:13 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
When I did my wheels (Rostyles), I did not sandblast (would have, if I had
access to it) but sanded the rust off by hand, then used a metal prep
solution.  I painted with Plastikote Aluminum (#207)  engine enamel without
any primer.  Ulix doesn't say how many times he painted and baked, but I
did it for three coats.  So far after 3 years, no rust at all has shown up
again on the wheels.  My Midget is not stored away waiting for the
sunshine, but is driven in all kinds of weather (no snow yet, however).
Whenever I paint and bake, I do it for three coats.   No other reason than
to ensure complete coverage, and it just seems about right to me.  Nothing
I have painted and baked has rusted again, and with the engine enamel no
primer is necessary.  My recipe for this paint is 300 degrees for one hour
each coat.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

spridgets@autox.team.net