Re: special treatment??

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: special treatment??
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:49:54 EST
Cc: ulix@u.washington.edu, Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com, robert@woozy.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:00:44 EST Lancer7676@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 2/11/99 11:40:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>ulix@u.washington.edu writes:
>
><< I don't know if you guys are using primer or not.
> I sandblasted my steel rims, then painted with silver engine paint,
>then
> baked.  The paint is not very durable, and (probably because I didn't
>use
> primer) the wheels are rusting. >>
>
>Ulix--

Bare metal painting in areas that will be exposed to hostile elements
requires some special treatment.  Bare metal should be etched.  Can be
etched with some of the new 2 part epoxy primers at the same time you
prime.  DP40 by PPG will do this.  It's also a moisture barrier.  Many
primers are not.  Some primers will attract moisture and promote rust.
Likely most rattle can types will.  DP40 costs about $40 per quart so you
can see the likely difference in chemistry and material content compared
to rattle cans.  Sandable primers shouldn't be used on bare metal.  Put
it on top of the etching primers and or moisture barriers.

Many inexpensive paints and some rattle can paints have very porous
surfaces.  Just because it's paint doesn't mean it forms an impermeable
surface.

Good luck on the repaint.

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com