Re: Electric Fan

To: Peter Samaroo <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Electric Fan
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:41:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Using a relay is excellent advice, especially for this car.  The
Midget runs the entire ignition-on circuit through just one fuse as it
is, and adding accessories to this borderline situation is asking for
a blown fuse at a minimum.  There can be a noticeable voltage drop
through its ignition switch/harness, and adding more current through
there only makes it spookier. I'm currently adding a few relays and
separating out circuits thru a new fuse block to make a more
reasonable setup, and to extend the life of those expensive/hard to
replace dash and column switches.

I've become convinced that the bad Lucas reputation results at least
partly from a just few bad design decisions along the way, much like
Chrysler in the 60's (watching smoke pour out of the dash of the
family '67 Newport initiated my boyhood interest in automobile
circuits).  Chryslers used underated (IMHO) alternators powering too
many gadgets through a dinky harness (sound familiar?), whereas GM's
mighty Delco alternators pumped out regulated 60 amps and set the
standard for over a decade.  If you've ever seen your Midget's
alternator field light blinking in time with your turn signal you
should realize the Midget needs more juice.  My current plan for
trouble-free Midget wiring: 60 amp alternator, separation of the major
battery and ignition circuits into a new fuse block, relays on the
horn and other hi-draw circuits, upgraded solenoid, and basic
maintenance of the ground connections.

MD
78 Midget

---Peter Samaroo <mrbugeye@hotmail.com> wrote:

> IMHO no power source after the ignition will supply enough power
without
> eventually burning up the ignition switch. I do not think it was
> designed to carry that much of a load. I would suggest that a
separate
> lead be taken off the battery and wired to a relay activated by the
> ignition switch. Please add fuses into this circuit as if something
> causes the fan motor to jam it will quickly let the smoke out of your
> wiring and we all know once the smoke is gone electricity does not
flow
> anymore. Most horn type relays are not rated for continuous use try
> find a headlamp type relay. I also would reccomend a thermocouple
type
> switch that turns on automatically as opposed to a manual switch that
> you have to remember to turn on and off, Though you can wire in an
> override switch as a safety measure.
> Regards,
> Peter S.
>
> >Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:57:25 -0800
> >From: pheysey <pheysey@enol.com>
> >To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> >Subject: Re: Electric Fan
> >
> >I bought a 10" electric fan and have installed it.  I have all the
> wiring done
> >except that I am unsure of where I will get the power from.  the
> instructions
> >say to connect the wire into a source "after the ignition switch"
What