Re: Antique License Plates

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Antique License Plates
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:19:14 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello All,
This thread (I hate that term) seems to be going around in circles so I
would like to offer some suggestions and observations.

Since motor vehicle laws vary in from state to state, one should contact
their respective motor vehicle department/registry for information
applicable in their state, rather than assume that another state's laws
may apply in their home state, or that the law has been changed, etc.

I also have a comment regarding the insurance banter that has pervaded
this thread (I hate that term) and the comment surrounding mileage
limitations.

If you are using your car outside of the "coverage limitations", or
"warrants" of your isnurance contract you are doing so with the
possibility that you are driving uninsured.

It may be a clever suggestion to use multiple speedometers or "tell the
officer" that you happended to stop at the mall on your way to the
mechanic, but you do so at great risk should you be involved in an
accident.

You may be saving $500. to $1,000. a year but at the same time you are
putting all of your assets at risk should your insurance company deny
coverage. The insurance industry calls it fraud.

Yes, you're right; I'm in the insurance business and have been for 30
years. These classic car policies raise such concern in our agency that
we no longer offer them for just the reasons stated above. The only
exception that we make is for those clients for whom we also write their
standard auto insurance.

With that said, if you are not coordinating your classic car insurance
with your other auto insurance, you may be driving around with coverage
gaps unknown to you. If you have any questions, you should consult YOUR
agent in YOUR state since insurance laws also vary from state to state.

You must be tired of this drivel by now, so I will retire and wait for
the next installment of the drain plug series. :-)

Keep Smiling, AYOT,ED?

Jay Fishbein, CT
AN-5
HAN-6
Innocenti-S

On 02/15/99 10:11:09 you wrote:

>In a message dated 2/14/99 10:23:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>endicott@nashville.com writes:
>
><< It is about that time again to renew the license tags on my Midget.
> Last year the "nice lady" at the license branch suggested that I could
> save a lot of money ($25 for a lifetime tag) if I purchased "Antique"
> plates.  As I understand the law, cars licensed as antique are to be
> driven only in parades and other special events.  >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>I'm in Pennsylvania.  Here you can register a car as Classic if it's 15
years
>old or Antique if it's 25.  A Classic still requires state safety
inspection
>but is exempt from emissions inspection.  Antiques are exempt from all
>inspections, but are limited to daylight driving unless the lights are
>adequate on the car.  They are very vague about the requirements.
>
>For both registrations they limit you on driving, and they clarify it
as
>"driving once a week."  So if you take it out on Monday and bring it
back on
>Sunday, you are okay!
>
>Remember, if you are questioned about where you are going in the
antique, you
>can always say that you just fixed something and you are testing it.
If you