Half shaft , hub, gasket, etc.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Half shaft , hub, gasket, etc.
From: "Dave Nesseth" <davenesseth@xta.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:57:50 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Lurk mode of, Help mode on.
  I have a 1979 Midget with a leaking left rear axle. Apon loosening the
half shaft a small amount of hypoid came out which I assume is natural. I
also noted that there was no half shaft joint gasket visable, some thing
which looked and felt like form-a-gasket was it it's place. I don't know if
this is the problem but it sure doesn't help. The O ring was is place and
looked good. I did not undo the big axle nut. My question is, what holds
back the hypoid oil? the half shaft gasket, the O ring, or the oil seal, or
all of the above. Do you think I can  get by without pulling the half shaft
and pressing on and pressing off the bearing and oil seal, and just replace
the half shaft gasket and O ring.
  Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave Nesseth          davenesseth@innocent.com