Re: Exhaust manafold

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Exhaust manafold
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:32:34 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob and Annice,

There is a collar on the pipe and the triangular loose flange should be
below that.  So you have to slide the flange on from the muffler end of
the pipe.  The donut sits between the manifold and the shoulder of the
pipe, so slip it on from the manifold end of the pipe.

The correct pipe is not flared at the end, it is straight but has a collar
welded to it that is pressed up by the loose flange.  The straight pipe
sticks out of the collar, so the donut can sit on top of the collar around
the pipe.

Ulix

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 Bkitterer@aol.com wrote:

> List,
>
> Finally getting around to changing the later model of exhaust manifold on our
> 1275.  We have never seen one of these assembles and we need some help (only
> know about older cars :-) ).  We have always had the flare type manifold /
> exhaust pipe unit.  The questions on the newer unit are:
>
> 1)  Is the end of the exhaust pipe straight and pass through the triangular
> clamp, "donut" seal and into the manifold?
>
> 2)  Or does the triangular clamp press on a flared end of the exhaust pipe
> pressing the "donut" seal between  the pipe and the manafold?
>
> or are both of these guesses wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> Bob and Annice
> 1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)