Re: Mini Mania engine breather

To: bruce@woodward-realty.com
Subject: Re: Mini Mania engine breather
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:13:50 EST
Cc: pasgeirsson@juno.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Bruce,

The parts book lists this as "vent pipe".  You are certainly going to
need one on your engine, but getting it so the oily fumes won't get on
your newly cleaned engine and engine compartment is going to be a tough
one.  My experience with this type is that it is likely the best for
keeping the engine from pressurizing the crankcase and reducing the oil
being pushed out of every other orifice on the motor.  I've seen some
people with worn engines put a short piece of hose on it to extend it
down a little bit further.  That helps some.

Likely the only way to keep your engine compartment free of all oil and
oil fumes is to never start the engine!  Short of that, watch to see how
much blow by your engine has and see if it's making a mess or not.  If
there is some mess appearing, then you could if you wanted to, put on the
later one with an oil condensor on it and run the hose to a smog valve.
Then you have sort of a closed system.  There are a few other things that
you need to do with that set up, but it's not hard to do them.

I would suggest initially to just leave it alone and see how messy it is.
 Then decide how you want to control it.

BTW, there won't be any vacuum on this so it will NOT be sucking up road
dust and dirt.

Regards, Paul
Morriservice
PAsgeirsson@juno.com