DCOE Update

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: DCOE Update
From: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:28:16 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The engine would not run with the DCOE as delivered even though I was
assured by the vendor that it would. The carb came with the following setup:

28 mm Chokes
45-F9 Idle Jets
115 Main Jets
F16 Emulsion Tubes
200 Air Correction Jets
40 Pump Jets

The engine would start and after a minute or so of using the "Cold Start"
would idle ok. You should not have to use the "Cold Start" at all. It would
not take any throttle, just bog down and die. I could blip the throttle a
two or three times and get it to rev and it would run at the higher rev once
you got it there. A slow transition from Idle to Mains was non existent.
Over the last couple of weeks after much consultation with David Anton at
APT I have changed it to the following setup:

28 mm Chokes
45-F9 Idle Jets
145 Main Jets
F2 Emulsion Tubes
175 Air Correction Jets
45 Pump Jets

Other combinations were tried along the way but did not provide much
improvement.

Out of all of the changes, the richer emulsion tubes made the most
difference.

Got it running last night and it runs better but not perfect. Still some
sputtering in transition. Took it out to see how it ran under a load, got
two blocks, and the new fuel pump died. I know it's the pump and not the
wiring because I ran a hot wire directly to the pump with no results. Pushed
it home and parked it.

The pump has less than an hour run time on it but I've had it for 6 months
or so. Probably will have a hard time getting the vendor to take it back. I
have not checked yet to see where I got it but I know it was not from Mini
Mania, too bad, they would take it back.

Larry Miller "Dance like nobody's watching"
59 Bugeye (Being Ripped Apart)
60 Bugeye (If I Can Just Get This DCOE To Work)
78 911 SC Targa (Faster than a Bugeye but not as much fun)
Home Page http://ado13.com