Re: Bleeding Brakes

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bleeding Brakes
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:55:25 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave,
what is your symptom that leads you to belive you have air in the system?

1) Do you see air bubbles coming out (I assume you are using a hose on the
nipple)?
That means you have air entering the system somewhere.  Could be at the
bleed nipple.  Use teflon tape on the threads or use the method of only
opening the nipple when under pressure as described by someone else.

2) Do you not see bubbles, but after letting the car sit or driving it you
can "pump up" the brakes?
This could be caused by maladjusted rear brakes, I always tighten the
rear brake adjusters until the wheel is locked up before bleeding.
If it is only after driving, you could have excessively worn or oval drums
or bent rotors.

Ulix

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Dave Nesseth wrote:

> Oh Great Knowing Ones,
>    After replaceing a master cylinder, wheel cylinder, brake hose, and brake
> line, I now am finding it impossible to get the brake line bleed. Acording
> to the haynes manual for our 79 Midget, its bleed R/F, R/R, L/F, L/R. My
> wife and I have went through a BIG container of brake fluid and we still
> have air in the lines. We are single handedly keeping flour dry in business.
>   If anyone has the secert as how to unravel this problem we would sure
> appreciate it.
>   Thanks in advance,
>   David Nesseth
>   davenesseth@innocent.com