Re: RE: laugh if you want ...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: laugh if you want ...
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 01:48:59 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Sure John, thats what this list is for.

There are two problems with batteries and their location in Spridgets.  First
is  that they leak or spill acid, particularly the old tar top type.  If you
do not put an acid proof tray under the battery the acid will eat away the
bottom of the battery box/fire wall.  "Trays" that are really 3/4 of a box
are better than just a dish type that the battery sits in.  Second is that
even "sealed" batteries vent some gas which is also acid.  While not as
serious as the first problem over time this will eat away the fire wall.
Because of the location of the battery it is rather  hard to keep clean and
be sure that no acid has gotten under or behind the battery.  We think the
cost of battery boxes (trays) and vent cover batteries are cheap compared to
the cost of removing and repairing a ruined battery box/firewall.  Our car
has always had a battery tray.  When the car was redone at 36 years of age
the only rust repair in the battery box/firewall area was two one inch long
rust lines where the top of the battery is close to the firewall.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)