Re: brake drag

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake drag
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:14:37 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Sounds like your rear flexible hose has swollen on the inside and won't
allow the fluid to return.  It could be master cylinder but then all the
wheels will be dragging.

Peter Westcott

----------
From: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>
To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: brake drag
Date: Friday, 2 April 1999 15:49

I have a Mk II sprite that I recently switched to the later brake system.
I got a used master cylendar and got new rear brake kit from Victoria,
which includes new slave cyls and springs.  I finally managed to get the
rear backing plates set up so they don't grind, but I noticed that my rear
wheels get very hot after driving.  I also noticed that after letting up on
the brakes I didn't seem to coast freely.  Upon closer inspection, I find
that if I jack up the wheels they will spin freely.  But if I step on the
brakes, and then let off the brakes, they won't spin at all for about 20 or
30 seconds after the brakes are let off.  After that they don't spin very
free, and it is difficult to turn them.  It evidently takes a very long
time before they will spin freely again.  I tried loosening up the
adjustment on the shoes, but it didn't help at all; they behave the same.
I checked the springs (they are new also), and they are all there and seem
to pull the shoes together.  The pedal also has a spring on it, so it
returns immediately.

So am I doomed to have hot rear drums, or is there a way to stop this drag?
I can't figure out why the springs are not pulling the shoes together more
quickly after I let off the brake pedal.

Thanks,

Ric Otte