Re: MG keys

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG keys
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 17:15:19 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob Wiedemeyer wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> I just happened to see an ad in Hemmings for MG key blanks.  The guy's name
> is Peter Groh, Ellicott City, MD; phone # 410-750-2352.
> By the way, about a month ago, I bought a '66 Midget for parts and asked
> the guy if he had a key to it.  He said he didn't but that all Midget keys
> fit all the ignition switches.  I thought he was joking until we did a
> little experiment:  We had 3 Midgets sitting there and 5 Midget keys, all
> from different cars.  Every one of the 5 keys would operate each of the
> ignition switches on all 3 Midgets!!  I was really shocked!
>
> Bob
> ----------
> > From: Valentine <valntine@mail.ptd.net>
> > To: spridgets@autox.team.net
> > Subject: MG keys
> > Date: Friday, April 02, 1999 2:21 PM
> >
> > Hey All,
> >
> > I need some keys, I only have one for the 74 and am reluctant to send it
> > anywhere.....
> >
> > Does anyone know who stocks the blanks for these, I have acess to a key
> > machine..
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Kevin
> > 63, 71, and 74 Midgets

Ok, go ahead and say "Made you look". I had to try my keys to see if
this was true. The answer is no. I tried the keys from the 72 and 73
into each other and also into the ignition of the 69 Sprite and my 79
Midget, and no key fits any other car, other than the car it was
intended. Is this your idea of an April Fools joke?  But it does bring
up a kind of cool idea, why not have all your cars keyed the same way?
Definately would make for a smaller key ring, now how do I fit an Midget
ignition switch inot my Buick,BMW,Fiat,Dodge truck,Ford truck.....etc

Mark Snowdon
sometimes with more keys than brains.....:-)