Re: Switching Axel Shafts.

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Switching Axel Shafts.
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 1999 22:28:18 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
IMHO

Replacement is fairly straightforward but check that the bearings are not
spinning in the hubs.  Take this opportunity to replace the seals and use
Loctite 609 high strength retaining compound to glue them in.  I also use a
medium strength Loctite 641 in conjunction with lock tabs for the hub nuts.
 It's also a very good idea to press the axles 1/4" out of the hub to give
more spline contact inside the diff.  You can buy replacement core pugs for
the axle end inside the wheel spline.  Also check for tyre clearance on the
outer guard as the wire wheels increase the track on a steel wheel tube.  I
use a flexible sealer like Hylomar on the paper gasket rather than a
silastic which sets hard.

Peter Westcott