New Member to your list! (longish)

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Member to your list! (longish)
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:53:12 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello All -

I've been a member of the Triumph and Spitfire lists for quite a while now,
today I joined yours!  The reason I am signing on is because of my newest
LBC.  I promise to contribute, not just lurk!  I am the proud owner of a
very early 61 Austin Healey Sprite MKII.  I went to look at this car Easter
weekend and really fell in love with it.  I picked it up yesterday.  It's
very complete and original (I think).  I've done a little detective work on
my new toy and have found out that it most likely was originally from
California (found some old receipts) and if the PO was correct, it was made
in before first month (May) that the AH Sprite MKII were actually released.
It's commission number is HAN6L-479.  If I am correct, and they started with
101, this car was the 378th one made!  If the book I have is correct, the L
in the commission number signifies left hand drive (which it is) but if it
was an US car, the letter after the 6 should be a U not a L.  So I am not
sure where this baby originally was on the road.  Don't shoot me, but I
originally bought this because it is a driver, and I really wanted a LBC to
drive while I was finishing up a Spitfire.  My wife really shot me down when
she said the AH is so much "cuter" than my Spit!   Well, we went for a drive
today (a bit chilly, but sunny!) and now I'm sold on it too!  What A BLAST!
A little under powered with only 948cc, but handles like a dream and a very
fun to drive (if I'd just remember first gear isn't synchronized).  I do
need to adjust those silly drum brakes on the front yet, or do front drums
always feel like that?    I am really looking forward to next weekend so I
can drive it again.  If it is nice, I may drive it to the British Motor Cars
Ltd. First Annual Spring Thing April 17th in Madisonville Kentucky.  I hope
to meet some of you there if I go.  I think I'm really going to like this
car!
For those that are curious, the specs of my "new" Sprite are:
1961 Austin Healey Sprite
Commission number: HAN-6L-479
Engine number: 9CG-DA-H-24740
Body number:  AB-L-000214