Re: Jay

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jay
From: Les Myer <lesmyer@geocities.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:37:02 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Guys, here's a little different perspective.

> I think car manufactures
>and mechanics are in cahootes. (sp?) no longer can you work on modern
>cars... its really a shame.

The reason for the technical complexity of modern cars:

1. Our government emissions, safety, and mileage requirements
2. The consumer's never ending quest for fancy gadgets and accessories.

#1 is mostly good (except for cost).  As a side effect, this has allowed
the development of engines that can develop as much as 2 horses per cubic
inch while still knocking out 25mpg and idling smooth in the traffic.
#2 is a shame.

I fail to see what this has to do with the mechanic's desires, or how it
benefits the manufacturer to promote technical repairs.  Few take their
cars to dealerships, once the warranty period has expired.

>Did I ever tell the story about the six months it took a Ford dealership to
>track down and fix a brand new (right off the truck) Mustang with 3 miles on
>it??

This is due to the techincal incompetency of most mechanics, when it comes
to the new cars - not dishonesty.  Hey, if they are smart enough to fix
these problems - they are smart enough to determine they can do much better
in another line of work.  It's no way to make a living, and they will
eventually bail.  Been there - done that - never again!

The technically inept are called "parts changers" by the few skilled
technicians.  They diagnose a problem by "Throwing a part" on the car and
hoping it will fix it!  This is becasue the mechanic on commission does not
often get paid for diagnosis.  After sufficient parts have been installed,
the skilled technician (if one is available) will eventually get the car
(perhaps months later).

Les Myer
67 Sprite